Loading data

An investigation into the timing of a Yamaha YM3812 (OPL-2) chip

Loading data

Postby carbon14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 am

I'm having trouble loading data into the ym3812... I think.

It's not clear to tell, because I might be having trouble reading data out. Anyway the data sheet is frustratingly unclear about a few things.

I've wired up a total of 17 inputs and outputs to the chip, that's the maximum number of io pins readily available to me on the pi. I NEED 16 of these to do the whole job, but theoretically I don't need all 16 of them at once. Having done all this it's changed the physical setup, and I've also changed the code that I'm using, so I might currently have a basic mistake in either of those to contend with. I'm going to strip down the software a bit at a time and then build it back up to try to narrow down the issues.

According to the datasheet, writing a byte into a register goes something like this.

pull down AO
pull down CS
pull down WR
Set the register address in D0 - D7
pull up WR
pull up CS

pull up AO
pull down CS
pull down WR
set the data in D0 - D7
pull up WR
pull up CS

That's all there is to it. The actual order of CS and WR changes shouldn't matter, the datasheet says that the value in D0 - D7 is taken when either CS or WR goes high.

What's not in the datasheet is any information about the time required between writes. There's plenty of information about the setup and hold times during the process of writing either an address or a byte, but nothing to suggest that there's a minimum delay between writes. I thought I was being generous leaving 32 cycles of ΦM between the address write and the data write, and then another 32 cycles after the data write.

But reading Vladimir Arnost's document on programming the OPL-3, which seems to have been largely based on observations of what the ad-lib actually did, he suggests that the a delay of 3.3 μs after the address write and 23 μs after the data write necessary for the OPL-2 (ym3812). At the nominal frequency of 3.58MHz is is equivalent to 12 cycles of ΦM and then a further 80 cycles. He goes on to say that the OPL-3 requires virtually no delay, but that is at odds with the OPL-3 datasheet itself which mandates a minimum of 32 cycles for each delay. The nominal frequency for the OPL-3 is 4 times higher than that of the OPL-2, but these would still seem to be in the same ball park, at around 2.2 μs

The figures quoted by Vladimir appear time and again in open source drivers and emulators, and are consistent with the document written 2 years earlier by Jeffrey S. Lee, where he says the information comes from the Adlib manual.

I'm surprised not to find any of this in the chip datasheet itself, but it seems to work for everyone else, so I'll have to extend my delays.
carbon14

Re: Loading data

Postby opl3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm

You are correct, the delays are not long enough.

Adlib card developement kit says 12 cycles between address and data load, and 84 cycles between data load and subsequent address load.
This is consistent with Y8950 application guide, since it also has OPL2 core.

As you can see, 84 cycles is more than time of one sample, 72 cycles. Makes sense to update internal registers from the IO latch at a suitable interval during one sample, plus some amount of additional guard time for some reason.

If you want to spare some IO operations, just keep CS low all the time and pulse either RD or WR. It should work.

I also find the OPL3 "virtually no delay" part very amusing, but given 32+32 cycles with a faster clock on OPL3, it is much less than 12+84 required by OPL2 in total.
opl3

Postby carbon14 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks. It's good to have a second opinion.

I didn't think of looking at the Y8950 application guide, although I have a copy.

However, having read that it threw up something more interesting. The post-data delay is only 12 cycles for writing to registers 00 - 1A

I've been working on registers 02, 03 and 04 looking at the timers, so actually my 32 cycles delays might be expected to be sufficient.

I must have a problem elsewhere, although I may as well extend the delay in my code now, because I will be wanting to write all the registers eventually.
carbon14

Postby carbon14 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Just noticed, I think that the Y8950 has an OPL core, equivalent to the YM3526 rather than the OPL-2 because it doesn't appear to support the WS registers in E0 to F5
carbon14

Postby carbon14 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Got it working.

There was nothing wrong with my data loading code, the problem was with my electronics.

I can't find anything about it in the YM3812 datasheet, but the YMF262 datasheet says that the IRQ pin is an open drain output. This means that whereas ΦSY, ΦSH and MO are all straightforward outputs, either 0V or 5V, which I can read in the r-pi simply by using a resistor pair current divider. The IRQ is either 0V or (normally) high impedance. I need to pull it up with a resistor so that it's normally high, and then it will pull low when triggered. I pulled it up to the r-pi's 3.3 supply and from there was able to connect it directly to the pi. Once I did that everything worked great.

But it's rather frustrating that I couldn't find this info on the datasheet.
carbon14

Return to Yamaha OPL-2 research