Case

My Raspberry-Pi projects

Case

Postby carbon14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 pm

There are a few Lego cases out there for the Raspberry-Pi.

But I don't have a lot of lego and so I had to come up with my own design.

These are the instructions for it, created using LDraw
carbon14

Re: Case

Postby carbon14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:39 pm

The Pi is 7 studs wide and just under 11 studs long. These are not particularly helpful dimensions for building in Lego, but it wasn't too bad.

I found 4 spaces on the underside of the board where there are no soldered points, and under these locations I built platforms to support the board.

To stop it sliding around too much (it's less than 11 studs long) I used a pair of headlamp bricks and a 1 x 2 tile to pad tighten it up a little, you can see the tile added in step 4 of the instructions.

I had to adjust the hole for the hdmi connector, to lower the bottom edge of the hole by 1/3 brick height. My hdmi-hdmi cable fitted in the original hole, but the hdmi-dvi cable had an altogether chunkier housing on the hdmi plug.

The only thing that sticks out from within the case is the SD card, you could add more bricks to protect it if you wanted.

The area around the GPIO is left exposed for easy access, but if I wasn't using the GPIO, I'd have built the whole thing in, (and probably put a complete roof on it).

My model is in black, all the parts came from Lego Technic set 8485 apart from the headlamp bricks which I found amongst the odds and ends of little sets we've collected over the years.

The instructions are in gray because I thought it was easier to see.
carbon14

Return to Raspberry-Pi